FAQ's: Frequently Asked Questions

Q: Do I need a referral from my family physician to see a psychologist?

A: No. While referrals from family physicians are welcome, individuals wishing to consult a psychologist can simply call The Sunnylea Centre to make an inquiry over the phone or schedule an appointment.

Q: Does OHIP cover psychologists’ fees?

A: No. Unfortunately, services offered by psychologists are not covered by OHIP. However, many extended health care insurance plans, which you may have through work, often reimburse psychologists’ fees.

Q: When should a student be referred for a psycho-educational assessment?

A: The following are some signs that a student might benefit from an assessment:

  • Struggling to keep up academically
  • Difficulty grasping certain subjects at school
  • Constantly bored in class
  • Does well in some subjects but poorly in other subjects
  • Teachers or parents reporting that the student is “not working to his/her potential”
  • History of academic struggle even though the student studies and works hard
  • Difficulty paying attention and sitting still in class

Q: I’ve never been to therapy before. What should I expect?

A: Once you’ve made the difficult decision to get the mental health service you need, please call our office or email us. A registered psychologist will call you back within 1 business day. On the phone, we will discuss your concerns and decide whether the Sunnylea Centre can appropriately address these concerns. If the Sunnylea Centre is a good fit, we will make an appointment for your first session. At the first session, the psychologist will ask a lot of questions in order to fully understand and assess your concern. Once the psychologist has thoroughly assessed the problem, recommendations will be made about treatment options; you will be able to make a fully informed decision about your therapy.